How to use Ya in Spanish
In this video, we are looking at the different uses of the word YA in Spanish. Now this word has several different uses and meaning depending on how you use it. So let’s take a closer look at the different meaning and uses.
1. Use it when something is about to happen very soon. Like when you say I’m almost ready. Here are some examples.
Ya casi estoy listo
Ya regreso – (use only when you are going to be gone for a short time not when you are leaving to go to work or something where you will be gone for a long time.)
2. Use it when an action is finished or complete. Make sure your verb is in the past tense. Here are some examples.
Ya vi el programa en la tele
Ya lavé la ropa
Why don’t you just say “lavé la ropa” or “vi el programa”?
This would not be clear when you finished the action or activity. When you use “Ya” it is clear that you have just finished or completed whatever the action or activity is.
3. When you are sure about something in the future but don’t know exactly when it will happen you will say Ya and the verb in the future tense.
No sé cuándo voy a viajar. Ya sabremos.
Ya nos veremos después.
4. Use Ya when you remember something. Like what is the name of the neighbor? ¡Ah, ya! Jim.
What is a popular Italian food?
¡Ah, ya! la pizza
5. You can also use to show irony. Like when a friend asks you to help them move their apartment and says it will be easy. When you show up the apartment is on the top floor. You would probably say something like…
Ah, que fácil, ya.
6. The last use of ya is when something ends right now or immediately. Another way to think of it is like an order. However, the context of it depends on the tone which could be up for interpretation in text form.
Don’t forget If you liked this video make sure to subscribe to our channel. As always make sure to check back for new videos every week.